Sunday, April 3, 2011

Grandma Joe's 63 Year Old Stand Mixer (and her banana bread recipe)

Over the last few months I have been baking my way through some recipes given to me by my husband's Grandma Joe.  Grandma Joe passed away last September at the age of 92.

Last week I received an email from my mother-in-law with Grandma Joe's recipe for Banana Tea Bread.  There are hundreds of recipes for banana bread, and I am always searching for 'The Best'.  I believe have found it!

The recipe for this delicious banana bread is at the end of the post. 

My mother-in-law also sent along pictures of Grandma Joe's 63 year old KitchenAid Stand Mixer. The mixer was used daily by Grandma Joe who baked all sorts of cookies, cakes, squares and loaves.

My mother-in-law now uses the stand mixer and tells me that it purrs like a kitten and has a powerful and strong motor.  The stand mixer is in excellent condition considering its age!


Grandma Joe's stand mixer with both the original glass and stainless steel bowls.


Grandma Joe would have bought her stand mixer sometime around 1947.  To put her purchase into perspective, World War 2 had ended a couple of years prior and the Cold War had just begun. It's a Wonderful Life was nominated for Best Picture at the 19th Academy Awards.



The handle on the old stand mixer is the same as traditional hand-held portable mixers.


This 1940's magazine ad for the KitchenAid Stand Mixer extols the wonders of this "Electric Maid": "It mixes... mashes... beats... whips... strains... sieves... grinds... shreds... chops... slices."


I guess the wife in the ad didn't have time to change into her yoga pants and watch the latest episode of Glee!

The design hasn't changed much over the years, but the color choices have increased greatly. KitchenAid Stand Mixers are now available in over 20 different colors!

A handle has been added to the work bowl on modern day mixers.


My husband's mom used to get the job of banana masher for the banana bread when she was a little girl, but since she wasn't available to mash bananas for me, I enlisted the help of my own little girl.


My little banana masher!


This banana bread was fresh from the oven when I took the picture.



Grandma Joe's Banana Tea Bread


Ingredients:
1 3/4      cups sifted flour
2  tsp.     baking powder
1/4 tsp.   baking soda
1/2 tsp.   salt
1/3          cup shortening  * see note
2/3          cup sugar
2             eggs well beaten
1             cup mashed bananas (2-3)


Directions:

Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.  

Beat shortening (or butter*) until creamy.  Add sugar, add eggs. Beat well.

Add flour and bananas alternating each a small amount at a time. Beat until smooth.

Grease bread pan and bake for 50-60 minutes at 350 degrees F.

* The original recipe calls for shortening, but I used the same amount of butter instead.  I also tossed in a handful of chocolate chips for fun, although this was really unnecessary since the banana bread was moist and sweet enough without the chocolate.



This banana bread was so delicious...it was gone by morning! Next time I will double the recipe.

As Grandma Joe used to say: Enjoy!





I'm linking up to http://debbie-debbiedoos.blogspot.com/