Sunday, February 20, 2011

Sunday Morning Pancakes

The three kidlets in our house are not fans of breakfast cereal.  They also don't like toast, frozen waffles or instant oatmeal.  They do really enjoy cooked breakfasts: eggs, sausage, omelets, hashbrowns; but we're usually too rushed in the morning for anything fancy. I wouldn't classify my kids as breakfast snobs, because two of them would happily eat Pop-tarts or a handful of Pringles in the morning if I let them. Since I would like my children to eat something that's more nutritious than cardboard, I keep an eye out for yummy yet healthy recipes for breakfast that can be made in advance.

I found this recipe for Ricotta Pancakes in our local newspaper.  I like that these pancakes are made with milk and ricotta cheese, because my youngest daughter doesn't drink milk. I think they taste great without syrup.  The kids think I'm nuts, though.  I've made these pancakes many times since school started in September, so I think this recipe is a keeper.

These pancakes are perfect to make on the weekend.  You can make a big batch, cool them completely and then freeze them.  The pancakes can then be reheated in the toaster. 

By the way, don't try to fish small pancakes out of the toaster with a fork...or you'll have more problems than what to feed your kids in the morning!

Ricotta Pancakes



Ingredients

2 cups    all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp.   baking powder
1 tsp.      salt
4 Tbsp.   sugar
3 large    eggs, beaten
1 cup      low-fat ricotta cheese
2 cups    cold milk
1 Tbsp.   vegetable oil

Directions

Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl. In separate bowl, mix eggs and ricotta then stir in milk and oil.  Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients, being careful not to over mix.  Pour batter onto hot non-stick pan.  Flip when bubbles appear on the surface of the pancake. 







P.S.   If you see me with my youngest daughter, and you want to tell me how wonderful this recipe is, please don't mention that these pancakes are made with r.i.c.o.t.t.a.  c.h.e.e.s.e., or they will be yet another thing she refuses to eat! Thanks!!